Tuesday 5 December 2006

Bookmark This!

The latest set of bookmarks have just gone online at Bent Books of Brisbane Australia, of which the proprietor is my pal Sean Mackinnon. I do a set of six of these towards the end of each year. Actually it used to be the beginning, but well... attrition. Here is Colette from the 2006 selection.

And here's Pam Noles' favorite from last year, H P Lovecraft.
When I drew the first of these I was determined to avoid the 'big head' formula, so well known from old cigarette cards and the like, But there's something about the logistics of that narrow vertical frame that demands an old fashioned enlarged bonce, and if you can figure out a better appraoch, you're a better man than I am, Hayley Campbell. There are eighteen altogether. See how many you can recognize. Sean gives them to customers buying books, but if you're one of them folks from the other side of the world that can't just look at them on your screen but needs to possess them, like Pam Noles, you'll have to email my pal Mackinnon and do a deal I suppose.
* * *
Looks like we've finalized the cover of the first volume of the french Alec series, being The King Canute Crowd. That's the book where I get locked up by the gendarmes on a daytrip to the French coast. Not sure how that will go down. Bloody drunken British fool, or whatever that is in French. Things that happen when you're young and stupid.
If you haven't read them in English, Top Shelf has the whole series.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the three Alec series from TopShelf and am still wondering if they publish them in different sizes on purpose.

5 December 2006 at 05:02:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Oooh finally a French version !
(Actually, I would rather read them in the original but getting your stuff can be a little trying...)

When will it be available ?
Christmas stockings are waiting to be stuffed on this side of the world too, some of them NOT speaking english at all (and that the benefit of a comprehensive French education for you...)

The bookmarks look great.
Nathalie.

5 December 2006 at 05:32:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Alec in French! Enfin - and about time too. Here's to the conquest of the Francophone world!

5 December 2006 at 05:32:00 GMT-5  
Blogger retromancy said...

I think I need one of those HPL bookmarks - have to go visit Bent Books I guess.

5 December 2006 at 10:49:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture of Colette. I just read the Secrets of the Flesh bio and I think you did a really good job of capturing her during her stage actress years.

6 December 2006 at 13:35:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Bill Peschel said...

Im very much looking forward to the Alec collection (I may have to start saving my pennies since Im in the middle of getting the complete Sandman).

5 February 2008 at 17:00:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home