Wednesday 10 January 2007

Otherwise

My pal White sent in this gag which I illustrated this afternoon. (original not available.)



It's in the same series as this from The Fate of the Artist



...which originated as a running joke between me and Hayley Campbell during a trip to Melbourne in 2004 for a convention called Continuum. There are some pictures of me doing a talk there, and here's a photo of my fellow artist, Shaun Tan, wearing Cthulhu on his head at a Continuum. It must be an initiation thing at this kind of event.

'Otherwise' is trying to be one of those one-panel gag comics that used to be popular, in which the punchline is a catch phrase or 'motto' and is the same each day. The humour comes from the sheer accumulation of variations. Noted examples from cartoon history include 'They'll do it every time' and 'Things you see when you're out without a gun.'

While I was getting the 'otherwise' logo out of the file, I came across this, by my pal Patrick Alexander, which is also a variation on a theme from Fate, the Angry Cook!



Patrick does a great little strip titled Raymondo Person. Well worth checking out.

(edited 4.04 pm for clarity, adding a couple of links, and ...spelling.)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First post. Can I grab the original.

D'oh. ;-)

10 January 2007 at 06:46:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sprinklers?

Aren't you folk up there on water restrictions at the moment?

cheers
B Smith

10 January 2007 at 07:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Ah, another highly flattering picture of that Wee Hayley Campbell.

10 January 2007 at 08:35:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Eddie linked me! Credibility, here I come!

The WebComicsNation URL is obsolete, though -- I've since moved the operation back to my own domain:

http://raymondo.chickennation.com/

That pic of Hayley is one of a series of thank-you drawings I once did for the friends who came to my aid on one occasion when I was depressed and bitched about it ON THE INTERNET. Let's see if I can't find the link to all of them...

Ah-ha!

http://zpxlng.livejournal.com/16648.html

While I was looking for that, I came across this piece of graffiti, which for some reason strikes me as something you might enjoy as much as I do:

http://zpxlng.livejournal.com/18324.html

Um... yes. Hi, everyone!

Hi Hayley, thanks for your recent email! OH WAIT.

10 January 2007 at 13:29:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Cthulhu warm and fuzzy.

What would HPL say?

11 January 2007 at 00:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend gave me a green C'thulhu stuffie which I keep in my office at work. Because it was a Christmas present, she put a Santa hat on him and sewed little bells on the ends of his face-tentacles. Because I'm Jewish, I lost the Santa hat but have kept the little bells. He glares malignantly at me from atop my computer, and every so often I pick him up and shake him *jingle, jingle*

11 January 2007 at 12:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

He's not happy about it, you know... i just heard the bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler would not put on paper.

11 January 2007 at 19:05:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home