Thursday 26 April 2007

"There were so many cartoon characters in the bar at the time..."

I n reference to the court sketching stories I've been running here, my old pal Wayne Beamer at Newsarama says I should have been on hand to sketch the doctor who was arrested last weekend in Florida, dressed up as Captain America, since I drew two issues of the venerable superhero in 2004.
Heidi shows a good photo of him being frisked.
"On Saturday night, when a costume party full of medical professionals stopped at On Tap Cafe, police said Adamcik had a burrito stuffed below the waistband of his costume and was asking women if they want to touch it. When one refused, he allegedly took out the burrito and groped her.
The woman called police and, when they arrived, the officers wrote in their report “there were so many cartoon characters in the bar at the time, all Captain America’s were asked to go outside for a possible identification.”

Specially for Wayne, I'm posting this pencil sketch:


I drew it early in 2004 in order to prove I could draw the character and thus secure the two issue job. I think this has only appeared in print in the booklet for Swancon 2004 (Perth, Australia). A peculiar mishap befell this drawing when I went to spray it with fixative and picked up the can of adhesive by mistake (it was this drawing if memory serves.) When I later sold the original to a chap at the San Diego comic book convention I warned him that the preservation of the surface would be unpredictable due to the mishap and futhermore that I had worked it over with colour pencils in an attempt to rescue it. This resulted in a strange sugary-coated surface. Said purchaser was so amused that a professional of my standing could make such a muddle that he asked me to write the whole anecdote in pencil on the back of the drawing.
******

Speaking of Swancon, sci-fi author Tim Powers was the other principlal guest that weekend. I recall him telling me that he found out that the publishers of the Spanish (or another country's) translations of his novels had been inserting scenes for product placement, and that this was apparently standard practice. That is, they had a local writer on hand to add scenes into all the publisher's foreign novels where a character would go to the fridge and take out a coke, or whatever drink was contractually required.
******

My pal Breach, currently camped on our living room floor, has left this page open on my desktop. It's a round up of everybody who has been so far blamed for the Virginia Tech massacre, with a link for each one.
Cyncal-C Blog: The Blame Game. 24 april
"In case you were wondering who’s to blame for the Virginia Tech massacre, I’ve created a list this morning to keep track. Feel free to send in any that I’ve missed.
It’s fault of the Europeanization or nannyization of American behavior.
It’s Charlton Heston’s fault.
It’s the fault of immigration and/or asians.
It’s evil’s fault."
etc. etc.
*****
Spiegelman Goes to College
Publisher's Weekly. Comics Week. April 24.
"Originally scheduled to deliver an outdoor lecture at Columbia University in early April, acclaimed comics artist Art Spiegelman instead gave the talk, "Comics Entering the Canon," indoors due to chilly weather, surrounded by neoclassical statuary in the rotunda of Columbia's Low Library. Considering Spiegelman's topic—how the comics medium is moving into the cultural mainstream—the move inside the library was appropriate."
*****
In other news:
Drunk deposits horse in bank for night. - Reuters. Wed Apr 25
"A spokeswoman for the bank said that aside from an undesirable deposit made by his horse inside the building, the 40-year-old account holder had not breached any house rules."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Hawthorn said...

You should apply to Marvel to do a post "Death of Captain America" story called "After the Shooter".

26 April 2007 at 00:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Bat Masterson said...

It's the German editions of Powers' books that got the advert treatment. (I don't know if you have to be a member of the Yahoo! Group to see the message, but it's Tim explaining the sudden insertion of soup scenes in his books.)

26 April 2007 at 01:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Bat-thanks for the correction.

26 April 2007 at 01:40:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maestro,

Thanks for the shout-out! My Nrama pals noticed...

The day you posted the Texas wife of my bosom and I were in Houston at an art exhibit (http://www.mfah.org/main.asp?target=exhibition&par1=1&par2=1&par3=358) about to close.

SD is less than 3 months away!

W

4 May 2007 at 23:34:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home