Wednesday 16 May 2007

I just found my soulmate (don't tell the wife).

T o the right is the probable cover for the second volume of the French Alec. It's Three Piece Suit in my own edition, but I've been told that won't fly in France. From Ca et La hopefully in September.
**********
There was an interview /article on Lionel Shriver, the author of We need to talk about Kevin in the most recent Weekend Australian magazine, which is online but you have to pay.
"Her novel about a campus killer was rejected by 30 publishers before finally getting into print...".
From Amazon .com, the Publishers Weekly review: "A number of fictional attempts have been made to portray what might lead a teenager to kill a number of schoolmates or teachers, Columbine style, but Shriver's is the most triumphantly accomplished by far."
This passage from the Australian shows the habits of her daily life to be remarkably not unlike my own, and I was once called Frugal MacDougall in the middle of an argument about them: "Surprisingly, her life has changed little since she won the prestigious Orange Prize, awarded to female fiction authors." (the prize is thirty thousand quid... it would keep you nicely for a year) "But the real value is the hugely enhanced book sales- 600,000 in Britain alone. Yet she still lives in the same rented flat in inner-city Southwark- shouldn't she be buying somewhere? "No, I'm too much of a coward! Large amounts of money scare the hell out of me. And the thought of going around looking at property is odious, your life passes before your eyes and you feel a bit like dying." She still cycles everywhere, still buys her clothes in charity shops, still refuses to have a mobile phone. It's so bad that I have virtually no tax deductions because I don't spend any money. I don't keep the heat on during the day, even in winter (which explains why she suffers from Reynaud's disease- poor circulation- and has to wear gloves all the time.) Other people seem to regard these little habits as peculiar. But I suppose I am bloody minded about cycling everwhere. I bicycled to those (book) parties last night. I wore these clothes. I'm also very frugal about laundry because I don't like to do it, so I wear the same clothes all week."

"That sounds just like you!" said the wife of my bosom as she handed me the article to read. That's her sleeping soundly in the above picture while I contemplate the fickleness of biscuits.

However I'm reminded of the episode of Sienfeld, in which Jerry finds a girl exactly like himself in every possible way, and he falls in love. By the end of the episode he can't stand her any more and arrives at the logical conclusion that he doesn't like himself.

(update: Roly in comments indicates the Shriver piece syndicated from the UK Observer) (should have thought of that)

*****

Google in Klingon, says hayley campbell.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

I believe that after awhile, you just become hardwired to live the poverty lifestyle.

I once dated a girl that was just like myself. I thought she was great fun, but always asking for trouble. She broke up with me after a month. I was devastated for a week, and then got over it. Married Faith (who is nothing like me) shortly after, and we've been happy ever since. I still like me, immensely. What does it all mean???

I never liked Sienfeld. The whole show seemed such an alien way of thinking, to me.

16 May 2007 at 01:54:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Roly Allen said...

Cheeky Western Australian! You can read the interview for free in its original home on the observer website...

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2062735,00.html

16 May 2007 at 02:54:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

I suspected it was syndicated and googled a couple of phrases, but nothing came up.

thanks

16 May 2007 at 02:56:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

16 May 2007 at 03:09:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

I suppose the Girl's fled back now? Damn it, I wanted to catch up before she left...

Of Klingonese interest, respected German global broadcaster Deutsche Welle also have a Klingon portal...

16 May 2007 at 03:12:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing how the property market in the UK is now peaking at insane, speculation-fuelled rates, Ms Shriver would be wise to save her money until the market collapses. And besides, Southwark is a cool, fairly central place to live. Lots of old buildings, great market, right on the South Bank. I'd rather rent there than buy somewhere miles out of the centre which is all she'd be able to afford, even with windfall wealth.

There's more on the London's tulip mania here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2078270,00.html

16 May 2007 at 07:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

I concur! And I like Southwark too. It has the Tate (wot has slides and pictures) and the Borough Markets (wot has, er, jam and upside-down deers and rabbits and things).

And there's the coolest looking barbershop under the bridge with stained mirrors, ancient chairs and even older men.

If I was her I'd stay put.

16 May 2007 at 09:43:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maestro,

As always, the wife of your bosom nailed it.

Cheers,

Will

16 May 2007 at 17:16:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

I thought the author sounded very reasonable until the comment about wearing the same clothes for a week.

Yuck.

16 May 2007 at 20:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Robert Morales said...

In true small-world fashion, firing synapses remind me that I used to know Lionel Shriver 20 years ago before she moved to England. A very cool lady, she was a pal of Tony Sarowitz, another fine writer. How about that ...

16 May 2007 at 22:57:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home