Wednesday 13 June 2007

The Sopraners

The night before.

hayley campbell: hope your sopranos party went well. tell me anything about the episode before i've waved the flag and i'll put my foot in your ass. i'm heading over to JP's place after work where we're going to watch sopranos, cry a bit, then hang ourselves because there's nothing left to live for. it's our sopranos suicide party. he's got a tv so we're watching it there rather than my place (where we'd have to sellotape our heads together to get the right angle on my mac screen) which means that there's no oven. ah well. jam and toast fer tea probably. i suggested we whack someone on the way home too, for authenticity's sake…

(s-p-o-i-l-e-r ---w-a-r-n-i-n-g)

The morning papers:

The Morning After: Did Tony Soprano whack Game 2 of the NBA Finals?-Cleveland Plain Dealer.

So this is how it ends: with a big, raised middle finger aimed straight at the TV audience," -Eric Deggans of the St. Petersburg Times.

Fade to Black Has 'Sopranos' Fans Seeing Red-Washington Post.
A bunch, who were way mad at the way Chase had messed with them in the finale, started messing with his Wikipedia entry. Finally, the brain trust at Wikipedia locked the page from further "editing" until June 18, citing "vandalism."

hayley campbell: the scene went like this: it stops abruptly at the end at a point of high tension. the screen goes black. i say 'oh fuck your hard-drive just shat itself at THAT POINT!' and JP leaps off the sofa and starts hitting the thing, near tears. it's black for about 7 seconds and then the credits roll. 'no. no i don't believe it. not a word of it. i downloaded two in case one was fucked. let's check.' so we run to his computer and play the last scene. that's it, that's what happens. 'DAVID CHASE CAN EAT MY BALLS!' shouts campbell. i'm furious, called Chase all the the rude words i know, JP said he was off to hang himself. but then if they'd gone out with a bloodbath i would have hated them for the cliche.
jp's not in today. i sent him a text saying 'i can't believe you hanged yourself - it's only a bloody tv show!' turns out he's actually ill and has been scooted off to hospital. see? the manipulative aspects of the sopranos can bloody well
DO YOU IN!
I bet you like the last episode. i bet someone a tea you'd like the last episode.

Eddie Campbell: I larfed. I wished I could end so well

hayley campbell: good. i'm owed a tea then. What did the mammy think of it?

Eddie Campbell: Well, it finished ten minutes ago and the mammy is still in front of the tv blue screen hoping something else will come up.
To put it musically: It modulated back into the tonic, gathered to a climax and then the cadence was witheld. But in strict musical terms that's just a formality. returning to the tonic key supplies the resolution.
p.s. not sure you read me right earlier. You said “thought i was going to die! and I said “maybe you did-- did the soundtrack suddenly stop?


hayley campbell: you're making a funny, aren't you. chris ware has broken my eyes and david chase took care of my mind. the theory that the soundtrack suddenly stopping was Tony getting whacked.

Eddie Campbell: i was asking if YOUR soundtrack suddenly stopped, which would be an indication that you had died, rather than the malfunctioning of your breathing, the ceasing of your heart or any other of the traditional indicators, including falling over with your head under the wheel of a car...

hayley campbell: haha. leapt off my chair when his head went splat. got wine on my jeans.

Eddie Campbell: well, we're all off to bed I think... the mammy is still waiting for that bit that comes after the credits, even though we pulled out the plug an hour ago. nitey nite, honeybee.

hayley campbell: night night par, i loves ya. X

Eddie Campbell: nitey nite, Phil Leotartdi; nitey nite, Silvio Dante; Christopher Moltesante; Bobby Baccala; nitey nite, Sopraners.

may you all Rest In Pizzas.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Ha - Ha!

13 June 2007 at 01:57:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Ahem.

Demure I am not.

13 June 2007 at 03:44:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which Sopranos character are you?

Trick is you can't be Tony, as everyone thinks they are Tony.

I would say I am Chrissy, Daren is Sil, Dan is Bobby, Mick is Vito(someone had to be Vito) and Campbell is Pauly Wallnuts.


Also new review?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32977

13 June 2007 at 04:40:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

I just did a quiz and it told me I was Dr Melfi... Screw that, I'm Ralphie. And its not a wig.

13 June 2007 at 04:59:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

Oh, and the quiz is here -
http://www.quizilla.com/users/mulambo/quizzes/Which%20Sopranos%20Character%20Are%20You?/
... but it's kind of pants.

The last one of these quiz things I tried told me I was Charlie Brown. Why do I keep looking for the answers I know I won't like?

Good grief... sigh...

13 June 2007 at 05:08:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are Ralphie remind me to never come over unannounced when Janice is over.

13 June 2007 at 05:16:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who cannot get

Dooon't stop... Belieeeeeeeevin'

Out of their head?

13 June 2007 at 05:22:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just posted a great quote on my blog from David Chase talking in 2001 (turned up via review in the NYT):

"What’s the difference between what’s art and what isn’t art? That’s the hard question to answer. The only thing that I guess I believe is that a lot of what I see on the air and in other places is giving answers, and I don’t think art should give answers. I think art should only pose questions. And art should not fill in blanks for people, or I think that’s what’s called propaganda. I think art should only raise questions, a lot of which may be even dissonant and you don’t even know you’re being asked a question, but that it creates some kind of tension inside you."

Novels end all the time the way that series did, they have for done decades. The Sopranos had a novel's depth, which was one of the many things that made it so great.

Here's another thought: nearly everything in film and TV (especially American products) gives us pat resolutions, happy endings and (that dreadful word) "closure". Hundreds of stories every year, all doing the same kind of thing. Isn't there room for just one to try and break the mould? Be different? Wasn't that what the Sopranos was about in the first place? As M John Harrison says, there are no "story arcs" in life; shit happens, then you die. No closure.

13 June 2007 at 05:28:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sopranos didn't break the mold here, even the OC final left hanging questions.

Seinfeld nagging question was why the heel did they make that the last episode.

I think its Chase telling the old joke, "How do you keep 20 million idiots in suspense?"

HBO has provided most of the best finale episodes, Larry Sanders and Carnivale would be the pinnacle.

If a TV shows greatest episode is it's last it shouldn't finish, chase said what he had to say a long time ago, the rest was a victory lap and a cash grab, would we really have had a 12 episode arc about a gay mobster riding motor bikes and eating pancakes if "art" was the motivator for the finish?

It is one of the greatest shows of all time, the last episode is not the reason for this, it is simply just the end.

13 June 2007 at 05:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Sounds like my type of endings.
Still not getting a TV, mind.

13 June 2007 at 06:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

You don't know what you're missing Nat.
There's this show called Relic Hunter, it has the girl from Waynes World in it, the one that thinks the best way to impress a big-time music exec is to play a cover version of a crap song from the 70's... its kind of like Indiana Jones, but with boobs, and...
Oh wait... I see what you mean now.

Oh, and Mr Duds... If Daren or Mick do the quiz, and end up being Janice... I'm changing my answer. Quick smart.
Not that they both aren't handsome men.

13 June 2007 at 06:05:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

I don't have HBO. If I did, I'd probably watch The Sopranos.

Having not seen it, I can't comment. Most of the folk at work, however, quite liked the final episode.

13 June 2007 at 06:21:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

According to that quiz, which is shite, I'm Dr Melfi.

I've already cast the Comics Mafia. This quiz has no idea what it's talking about.

13 June 2007 at 06:23:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Campbell=Wallnuts, think about it, you know its true

13 June 2007 at 06:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Definitely Walnuts.

He still thinks he's Tony though, mostly because Ma wants to be Carmella methinks.

My Ma doesn't want to be Walnuts' Ma.

13 June 2007 at 06:33:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need a TV or HBO to watch their shows (I have neither), an internet connection and BitTorrent application will suffice. And if you have a TV there's loads of solutions for converting AVIs to DVD.

13 June 2007 at 08:21:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and it seems I'm Furio, which isn't too bad a choice.

13 June 2007 at 08:31:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

You're Furio! Brilliant. Do we have a Carmella?

Anyone? Anyone? ...Bueller?

13 June 2007 at 09:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Did the test and turned out to be a Tony, for all that's worth...
And now you're going to shake your head and laugh at me saying things like "no wonder!" and I won't even know how bad it was.
But do I care ? Nope.
Hey maybe you're right, Hayley, and I need to have my head looked into...)

13 June 2007 at 09:41:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nathalie, everyone wants to be Tony. He's the dude in the chair.

13 June 2007 at 09:57:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Um. Oops. That wasn't Matt, that was me. (again)

13 June 2007 at 09:59:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

The only thing I know about that show is that there was this guy named Christopher, who had a daughter named Katelyn, and they shot him.

13 June 2007 at 11:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

But I selected "middle aged woman" for the first question...
But if you can be Matt, Hayley, I suppose Tony can be a middle aged woman too.

13 June 2007 at 13:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Bulfinch's Aglaia said...

I too am Furio, but since I didn't watch "Soparanos" I don't know if that's good or not. I tried to watch the show several years ago, and realized I didn't give a rat's ass about any of the characters at all because I hated each and every one of them so why bother watching? Oh well. Guess I'm not smart enough. And Chase's quote on art not answering but only posing questions is complete and utter horse crap. Good art does both. Obviously the quote of man too afraid to write an ending. Any accalimed dramatic ending that initially makes all the viewers think something is mechanically wrong with their TV is not a success.

13 June 2007 at 18:01:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have HBO. If I did, I'd probably watch The Sopranos.

Having not seen it, I can't comment.


There's something slightly off about this statement, just can't quite put my finger on it...

13 June 2007 at 22:45:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way, anyone seen my sunglasses?

13 June 2007 at 22:46:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home