Thursday 8 November 2007

Indulgence dept.

The oldest wine we have ever drunk here at Castle Campbell was this 1933 Australian port at 70 years old (Australia is very good at making fortified wines, within a limited style range.) Wines this old tend to be met more in the way of academic-historic enquiry than of gastronomic pleasure. Thus I found myself, after realising I'd forgotten to decant it, inordinately curious about the magnificent pile of sediment in the bottle, and wondering how it would look in the glass:



***********
I was hoping wee hayley campbell would do me a write-up of the event at the Bishopsgate Institute with Iain Sinclair, Alan Moore and Michael Moorcock. But instead she links me to the one by Andrew Hickey. Good line here, but I misread it because i thought he said pet instead of poet. Must get my eyes checked.

Moorcock was fascinating on this subject, and I'd like to hear him talk more about it - he was essentially riffing on Shelley's line about poets being the unacknowledged legislators of humanity, talking about how "we can't get real change, and the only way to get actual change is to change the rhetoric"

*********
Flasher strips off in court A German flasher stunned lawyers during his appeal hearing on a flashing conviction by stripping off in court, authorities said.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

The Drunken Dancer formerly known as Brixton Breach links you to the blog post, actually.

I must sleep now.

8 November 2007 at 19:51:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a big thread devoted to the event with photos and things at Mr. Moorcock's Miscellany forums:

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=6316

8 November 2007 at 21:35:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

You could read someone's fortune in that much sediment. Bet it would be an interesting one too...

9 November 2007 at 01:24:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

I was at a Thing recently, and this large and loud drunk fellow kept on insisting I'd come dressed as Michael Moorcock.

Actually, at first he came up to me and insisted I was Michael Moorcock.

I can't help it if Moorcock insists on wearing a hat...

9 November 2007 at 18:12:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

What kind of cheese?

11 November 2007 at 12:21:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home