Wednesday 24 September 2008

OUR TV ADVENTURE, so far-part 1

there's a conceit in The Fate of the Artist, and I choose the word deliberately, in which I posit that a film crew is in my house shooting for a proposed arty documentary which revolves around Campbell. We will have observed this activity a couple of times before wee Hayley Campbell explains it (in words put into her mouth by me, for the sake of fiction):


This particular thread runs up and down all the levels and modes of the story, with what is seen in one part explained later in another where we don't expect it. The principal player in this drama is the actor Richard Siegrist, who plays Campbell. In this pretend newspaper daily strip cartoon we see him in front of the camera:


We can presume it's a 'green screen' setup because we see the same shot later in the full colour painted mode with the rest of the picture supposedly added at the editing stage:


Of all the mischief in the book, I was inclined to feel that this notion was a little dishonest, because I really couldn't picture a situation in which anyone would be filming my real-life stories. (Let's leave the From Hell movie aside, which is a different beast altogether and I really wasn't physically involved with that). But within a few months of the release of Fate I found myself having a beer with a couple of television producers.
(More next time)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yoga Gal said...

I'm currently reading "loving picasso the private journals of fernande olivier" and I thought of your book "The Fate of the Artist" ;have you ever thought of writing a book titled "The Fate of the Artist's Wife"? a book about the wife of your bosom? I'm an artist and can't think of a worst fate than being married to another artist. Still think it would make an interesting story, the power behind the creative mind. Just a thought. I love the water color. Namaste- geri

24 September 2008 at 19:24:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

That is good news and I am happy to see this project moving.

24 September 2008 at 23:22:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is all this kind of a riff on an arty documentary made about a certain From Hell co-author?...

25 September 2008 at 06:24:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home