Tuesday 29 May 2007

covers- BACCHUS no.28

I headed into my third year of Bacchus, without having missed a month, although in the third and fourth years the schedule would slip down to ten issues per year and then eight in the fifth and sixth. That's sixty altogether in six years. For most of that time, If I missed a month of Bacchus, there would be something else to take its place, either a big collection or a 48 page special such as the Birth Caul. In this third year I found quite a few of the cover predictions were hopelessly off course by the time we came to draw the issue. With this one I thought we'd be up to the collapse of social order and the advent of Bacchanalian chaos, but a couple of short chapters were inserted to delay that, such as the one titled 'the murder Ballad'. If I remember correctly, Nick Cave had just recorded his duet with Kylie Minogue, which had her playing the dead girl floating in the pond. With Minty Moore we came up with the idea of the blues singer narrating a murder ballad in rhyme and I pulled out the oil paints once more, unused since the Bacchus color Special cover. The printing on this cover was the single most heartbreaking dissapointment in my whole publishing career. So, (1) is the black and white small scale cover solicitation image. (2) is how it looked in the Diamond catalogue. Pete Mullins inked and colored it I think. Interestingly, the story described here would be in the following issue (see next post) but this cover idea was kicked out a second time and thus never used. (3) is my prepress color-correct proof of the painting, which has never been seen anywhere before. Click for an enlargement. Seeing it as it was meant to appear, for the first time in ten years (I sold the original quickly) I felt quite moved, recalling all the tragic feelings I tried to put into it. (4) is the dismal end result of the print job. For a couple of hours I felt like giving up.

In fact, what impresses me more than seeing the actual colours after all these years, is the fact that I was able to put it out of my head and get on with the next issue and the one after that. And the covers of those issues would create their own particular problems. Actually, no, what terrifies me the most is that this was all ten years ago.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Dismal it is. Lost all the vibrancy of the original...

29 May 2007 at 00:31:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

The original is gorgeous...

*sigh* one of the major pitfalls of printing...

but to know that one can paint like that... :)

29 May 2007 at 00:46:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Wow. Amazing work. Quite powerful as it was intended. A sorry sight in printed form.

This all came about during my long walkabout from the comics scene. I never saw any of those monthly Bacchus comics.

29 May 2007 at 00:49:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Beautiful work Eddie. It kind of reminds me of a painting Dame Darcy might have done. Her paintings (even the humorous ones) always had a trace of sadness in them.

29 May 2007 at 02:06:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, printers needed slapping.

29 May 2007 at 04:58:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Every time something came back from the printer we'd have to avoid you for a few hours. I remember when After the Snooter arrived you were inconsolable.

This print job is too rubbish to think about. That's what blogs are for, I suppose.

No really! This is what I meant! I didn't mean to grab her arse, she'd just sat on the Gummi de Milo, I swear!

29 May 2007 at 05:05:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Apropos of the usual, here's a flickr stream of Alan and Mel's wedding which you've almost certain seen, but on the off chance you've not, well, there you are!

29 May 2007 at 07:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Oh, and an interesting archived discussion on the Codex Seraphinianus .

29 May 2007 at 07:31:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are busy, but I just want to say I'm currently reading From Hell + Snakes & Ladders and your work is beyond compare. As a young artist (24, Brum, England), it is an inspiration that has helped me emmensely.

and i just wanted to say thankyou.

actually while i really wanna just say this so...
my life recently has been stricken by the scourge of the number 23 and coincidences that have led me to find certain books or artist or music that all share certain symbols and themes. Through these I have found Blake, Burroughs, Crowley, Mr Moore himself and several other sources of great inspiration, and this has I feel, greatly shaped my artwork and helped me shape several projects around these ideas. I would love you to look at my work and maybe send me some feedback or advice that you think may help me. I would love for these synchronicities to lead to me being a better and more succesful artist as I am currently emplyed fulltime in a hospital and am completely connectionless.

myspace
www.myspace.com/thedarkinventory

flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43633123@N00/sets

email
lewesherriot@hotmail.co.uk

thanks for your time
and sorry if this wasn't the place to post this...
Lewes Herriot, UK
:)

29 May 2007 at 13:27:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maestro,

I count myself lucky having seen the original cover many years ago, only after seeing the printed version, and very much second your feelings about the printer, long may they rest in peace...

Later,

Wayne

29 May 2007 at 15:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Marcus Moore said...

Eddie - the other influence for me with this one was Dirty Own Town from The Pogues. BTW - You & Mullins did a great job with the juxta-pose from the florid ballad to the grimy reality of industrial living. Ah, the glory days! [Minty]

18 January 2008 at 09:35:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home