Saturday 19 May 2007

covers- BACCHUS no.6

Colour covers always filled me with a spirit of gleeful liberation. This one features Bacchus with Collage, who had been introduced in the previous issue. She was intended to be ‘The spirit of an instantaneous, chance-embracing new age.’ (I lifted that phrase from somewhere, but Googling it doesn’t give a result.) And whether that job description was different enough from the Eyeball Kid’s, as queried by one critic, I am not sure. The image is based on Grant Wood’s American Gothic, although that is probably not obvious in the finished version. Collage is cast as the old man’s daughter (Wood meant her to be a daughter, but posterity has mistaken her for the man’s wife.) I drew the black and white and Pete Mullins coloured. In the background I asked him to use those markers where when you use the white one last it changes the colours of all the others where it touches. Red changes to yellow, green to red, each one not what the eye expects from a knowledge of mixing pigments. I wanted to confuse anyone who was accustomed to ‘reading’ colour mixes. Then for good measure I stuck a fish on the top.
*********
I’m hoping the above looks right as Blogger is playing silly buggers again.
Blogger Status Update
Some Safari and Opera users are experiencing difficulties saving or previewing posts and uploading images. We are aware of this problem and currently working on a fix.
********
Those damn garbage bags in the Wicks case continue to be a subject of fascination here at Campbell.blogspot:
Judgment reserved in Wicks cartoon case --May 17,
"The final submissions were presented today in the lawsuit by Ben Wicks' family to reclaim a vast collection of cartoons left behind in a move 15 years ago. The Wicks family is seeking the return of more than 2,400 original sketches dating back to the 1960s.
They were left behind by movers in 1992. The cartoons were found in three green garbage bags, some of which were mixed in with kitchen waste. In court today, the defendant's lawyer, Charles Campbell told the judge, "If it was packed like garbage, looked like garbage and smelled like garbage, then it was garbage."

I can easily envision a scenario in which, with me deceased and not there to oversee things, the garbage bag containing my most prized possessions is left by an unthinking clod of a removals man next to the garbage bag containing… well, garbage… perhaps even a dead rat our cat brought in. And then perhaps the discovery of a note to not throw out any garbage bags, that all said garbage bags might then be put aside together in the garage. Maybe even some extra garbage gets tossed in the one containing the prized possessions. Yes, I can see that. It’s in my nighmares every night. Right after the scene where I’m back at school with 36 years of uncompleted assignments.
They should have asked for my affidavit

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bat Masterson said...

On Topic: Wonderful use of the fish.

Off Topic: Another delightful use of plagiarism as essay.

19 May 2007 at 05:04:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

In the background I asked him to use those markers where when you use the white one last it changes the colours of all the others where it touches.

Oh yes, I remember those. They were mine. If memory serves they were completely and utterly fucked by the time you gave them back to me.

I can't imagine I was too upset. When you're 8 and handing over a rubber stamp or a set of coloured square stickers or some strange markers to your slightly mad father, you expect them to come back with perhaps (if you're lucky ) a vague resemblance to the thing you had before.

19 May 2007 at 05:08:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

You're a hard man, Campbell!

By the way, they found Doohan's ashes.

19 May 2007 at 05:42:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh....a pastiche. That's odd because I've just done a post about a new art forgery exhibition in the US and was considering one about pastiches I've done in the past.

19 May 2007 at 07:52:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say yesterday, but got distracted by "How to Beat an Artist"...

There's a (fairly) interesting article in this week's UK Bookseller about Dan Franklin (publisher of Jonathan Cape and a very nice man) and Graphic Novels. Should they be on a literary fiction list, is the question? Yes they should, is his answer. And so on.

I can't find it on their website, but I'll bung a copy in the post as and when I remember.

It got me thinking, though, a collected/definitive 'Alec' all in one volume, sold by Jonathan Cape/Random House into UK bookshops, would be a lovely thing indeed. Eddie, would you be at all interested in something like that? Or are you wedded to topshelf etc?

Jus' wondering...

Marcus

19 May 2007 at 09:18:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Would you remember what those markers were called ? I've never heard of them and have gone through a quite large variety of supplies (both my own and my fathers).

19 May 2007 at 11:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Nathalie, I think they were called Crayola Magic Pens.

Found this on Amazon, they're the fellers..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crayola-5057647-Magic-Pen-Collection/dp/B0001RFYPS

I remember arguing with some kid at school because he thought his Scentsation Pens were better than my Magic Pens. He was wrong, obviously, and he made the classroom smell of coconut or strawberries or blueberries depending on what colour he chose to scribble with. Git.

Edwin, if you're reading this, I've still got cooler pens than you.

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/product.asp?product_code=38750&subcat=135&agecat=0&cat=0&brand=64&page=1

19 May 2007 at 12:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Thanks, Hayley.
Yours were WAY cooler.
(Coconut scented pens... Bleah !)

20 May 2007 at 06:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eroom Nala
the Black & White version looks like something out of Cerebus.
Didn't Bacchus and yourself make an appearance in some Cerebus issues?
I think it might have been in Guys

20 May 2007 at 19:05:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home