Wednesday 16 May 2007

Crow, crow, cackle, cackle.

The two posts I wrote about old time Marvel "inker" Vince Colletta made me remember what an opinionated bunch of clots you can find arguing about comic books. As obnoxious boys they will argue about who is stronger, Spiderman or the Hulk. When they're a bit older they become half-arsed art critics.

From the words of clots who don’t know a thing about anything and think Colletta ruined Jack Kirby's art by changing it: (from my comment section May 9th.)
“I don't care whether Vince Coletta was a "good" or "bad" person. And up to a few years ago, I didn't know he erased backgrounds. I just know I've hated his work because it looks awful.
Oh, yeah, he does beautiful doe's eyes on girls. Unfortunately, he seems unable to have both eyes on the same level. The faces he inks invariably end up lopsided, the eyes are wide open on one side and half closed on the other.”

From the words of one who inked Jack Kirby’s work for several years and is universally held in high esteem, presumably because he didn't change the master's work when he "inked" it:
"But it's fairly interesting, the story that I'm working on. I'm certainly enjoying it because Jack penciled it in May of 1970. Can you imagine? Thirty-six years ago. And here I am, doing Fantastic Four again on unpublished art. I am rediscovering idiosyncrasies, like him not putting two eyes on the same plane, so I have to correct things like that again."
Opinionated clots everywhere, go screw yourselves!!!
That's from a new interview with the great Joe Sinnott, under the auspices of Tomorrows, from a special publication devoted to the man, on sale May 23. sign me up for one.
(link via Dirk Deppey)
(also, My pal Stuart Immonen picked up the ball and ran with it two days back)

Apologies to those of my readers who have come to enjoy a modicum of gentlemanly behaviour here at campbell.blogspot. but now I have shown my true, shameful, colours.

this was a late update. the proper post follows.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

eddiecampbell.highhorse.com

16 May 2007 at 06:42:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

. I am rediscovering idiosyncrasies, like him not putting two eyes on the same plane, so I have to correct things like that again."

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

PWNED!!!! as the young folk like to say.

16 May 2007 at 07:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

So, who's art is it once everything is done and published... the peciler's or the inker's?

16 May 2007 at 09:21:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't Marvel (TM) own it all? MARVEL PWNS J00 as the young folk like to say. All the artwork and any other artwork produced by you or your children or your children's children in this or any other Elseworld (R) until the last syllable of recorded time. Oh, but that's DC (TM)... Well there's probably an Elseworld where Marvel did Elseworlds and DC did What If...?s and Harlan Ellison is Gary Groth's brother. You get the picture. Or rather, the corporations do.

Yes, it's a slow day.

16 May 2007 at 10:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Why, your colours do not seem so shameful and should be born proudly...
N.

16 May 2007 at 15:21:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Best said...

BRILLIANT!!! Mate, never be ashamed of showing people the truth. Mind you there'll be a lot who'll sit there and say how wrong you are, but we know what they can do with themsemelves.

It's always amused me that people point to Kirby's artwork suffering a lot in the inks towards the end of his career because D Bruce Berry and Mike Royer only inked what was on the page and essentially traced it. But then it's the inkers that get blamed for that too...if they fixed it then they'd be attacked, if they don't then they're tracer hacks.

Kirby was an artisitic giant, don't get me wrong, but he had his flaws when it came to his art, in particular from the mid '70s onwards (when he returned to Marvel). His heart clearly wasn't in it as much as it was back in the day and it showed.

16 May 2007 at 17:11:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Gosh, I sure do like Sinnott's work.

And, gee whiz, Colletta wasn't all that bad!

And who would ever argue that the Hulk is stronger than Spider-Man? Who, I ask ya?

16 May 2007 at 20:39:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home