Wednesday 2 May 2007

Home again home again

I'm busily scanning the pages from my book Three Piece Suit for its French edition. I just came across an odd one which demands to be seen at least once in colour. In those days I would occasionally paste collage onto the page as part of the finished artwork. I didn't bother about whether it was in black and white or colour, as it would be photographed for black only and the colours would disappear. However, my printer, Preney of Canada, didn't know what was going on the first time they saw me do this. "Do you want us to print these colours like this?" and I'd say, " Good lord no, just photograph it like all the other pages and I'll accept it however it comes out." But once or twice I noticed they excerpted and screened some of my details for halftone and then positioned them back in place on the page.
There was another time, the Gilgamesh story in the 1001 Nights of Bacchus, where there is so much collage going on I was able to run the whole five pages as a colour story on the back covers of five issues of Bacchus. Dave Mckean was in a similar circumstance with Violent Cases, where the first edition was in black and white but later ones were all shot for colour.

(click image for closer view)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Ah, now that's nice to see. I oft wondered if Snakes & Ladders was in color, and would fantasize about the day when you'd have the dosh to print it that way. My heart was broken the day I learned it wasn't so. I got over it, though.

2 May 2007 at 01:57:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, Mister Campbell, please post the full-color Gilgamesh.

I'll give you a half-sucked lolly.

Failing that, could you tell me which issues you ran them on so I can go a-rifflin' through back-issue bins?

2 May 2007 at 10:51:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Christopher
I once digitally colorized a panel, giving rise to possible confusion.

David
request noted. meanwhile it's in issues 22-26 if you see them

3 May 2007 at 06:35:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home