Friday 22 June 2007

covers- BACCHUS no.40

C ampbell is all over the place today, so I'll just show this cover for no other reason than that the solicitation version (1) was quite diffrent form the finished print (2). The series was in a second phase in which I was cutting corners more drastically than before. The orders followed a straight downward slope right from the first issue, and nothing I did was able to divert it from that course. We started at 8,500 and ended and 1800. Thus I was able to plan ahead to the extent of saying 'by the time we reach a level of 3,500 somewhere between issues 30 and 33, certain cuts will need to be made. One of those was that Pete Mullins wasn't working with me on a weekly basis; the Bacchus story was wrapped up except for a few shorts to fill out volume six , The 1,001 Nights of Bacchus; From Hell was wrapped up; and I was concentrating on my autobiographical work, and also travelling a great deal. For the five issues following this one I didn't even draw new covers. I coloured a panel from inside and put that on the front. Interestingly, this made no difference to the sales curve either though I'm sure those who love me felt their patience being tried. And there was another much more serious problem screwing with my brain. More on that next time.
******
If you need absolutely need to hear more Campbellian jabberings today, You'll find me interviewed in print by Colleen Mondor.

And in sound at Inkstuds. My goodness, it's an hour and a half! And they've framed me with Charlie Parker's Bird of Paradise and Beirut. How sweet.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How apposite you've chosen to illustrate this with the cover that I felt was the nadir of the run. What possessed us to let the logo go wonky? We must have argued vehemently about that. I wonder if that was one of those days where your children asked "Why are you enemies in there?" pointing to your studio, "...and friends out here?" when we would have adjourned to the front verandah for a cleansing ale.

Mick

22 June 2007 at 03:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Mick, you are the only person I know to use the word 'nadir' apart from my housemate's Oxford chum.

After vomiting on said housemate's toothbrush as it sat in the middle of the bedroom floor during our housewarming, he made vague attempts to clean up after himself. On his knees, blushing in his pink cardigan while mopping up the evil red wine extrusion, he muttered solemnly 'I've been to Oxford you know. I have a degree! Oh dear, it's a new nadir for the Conways.'

22 June 2007 at 03:55:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nadir is a fabulous word, isn't it? Mick

22 June 2007 at 05:20:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Oh yes, right up there with 'front-bottom'.

22 June 2007 at 05:28:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or "anogenital"...
No wait... thats a horrible word.

22 June 2007 at 06:26:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

MISTER J!

DO NOT USE THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE ON A HARMLESS BLOG!

That kind of word is reserved only for special occasions, like being written in black marker on a large sheet of paper and left on someone's fridge for their mum to find.

---

Pa, I like the way we can hear Monty (--'you terrible cunt' SLAP! NO QUOTING WITHNAIL & I, WEECAMPBELL!) arfing and woofing in the background.

Good interview. I've only seen one oldstyle Teddyboy about, standing next to me at a bar (there's a whole other section of rockabillies and psychobillies about but they're different). He was middle-aged and still wearing a quiff despite a distinct lack of hair.

The fucker wanted to punch me! Bastid.

22 June 2007 at 06:40:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is nadir really that elusive? Then again, I was reprimanded the other day for using the word "oleaginous" in polite company.

22 June 2007 at 07:21:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I recommend Peter Hammill's 1975 album, Nadir's Big Chance. John Lydon (aka Rotten) was a big fan of its pre-punk nastiness. Musically, it's not a nadir but a zenith.

22 June 2007 at 07:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Bah. I use "nadir" all the time (it's that nadir time of year), and I'd hardly use it for any issue of Bacchus.

I like the logo.

22 June 2007 at 07:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Fine then. I'm wrong, utterly. I hope you will not object if I offer you all my most enthusiastic contrafibulations for being right.

22 June 2007 at 08:28:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining us Eddie, it was swell. I am looking forward to more future goodness.

22 June 2007 at 09:32:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the Walt and Skeezix show I mentioned before, will be on August 23rd. For that show, I will be joined by the guys that put the Walt and Skeezix books together, Jeet Heer and Chris Ware. It should be very fascinating.

22 June 2007 at 09:57:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Why nadir must be used daiy in the place I slave at (mind you it is rather normal - I'm rather fond of perigee, which is also used a lot here - considering the context).

Oleaginous has become a dirty word?
Cooooool.

22 June 2007 at 10:37:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home