Saturday 6 October 2007

the SnOOTeR

I had to come up with some new drawings of The Snooter (see After the Snooter, Top Shelf.) last week for a speculative project I can't say anything about as yet. You will remember that it was a big insect, an oversized moth probably, that flew in our kitchen window way back in 1994. Later in the story an unnamed character that happens to look exactly like Bob Kane's Bruce Wayne is sitting staring purposefully into the dark night, contemplating "The annoying complacency of people. I need a symbolic form by which to strike fear into their hearts," when it fluttered in his window too. "That's it! I shall become a hideous insect of the sleepless humid night. I shall remind them of their childhood terrors, of snakes under the bed and beast droolings in the dark that make you afraid to put your bare foot on the floor."
And thus he stitched a costume together and became The Snooter! Everybody said the pink rubber kitchen gloves were the piece de resistance.
I found that my concept of the character had drifted considerably since I last drew him, and It took several attempts at it before I arrived at something presentable.

************

My pal Mia Wolff, painter and veteran of the flying trapeze, has started a blog.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jason Das said...

Shit, Eddie.... you're gonna make me care about superheroes again, aren't you?

6 October 2007 at 19:21:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Ha! I hope not.

6 October 2007 at 19:24:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Jason: thanks for the boost at amazon a while back, by the way

6 October 2007 at 19:26:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

I've gotta extract the digit and replace my vanished copy of Snooter. If anyone knows of a copy for sale in Oz, please let me know. I don't want to buy it from O/S unless I have to.

I gotta ask: Eddie, what's the background of the "being cranky" pic which is currently adorning my view of this page? There's a whole bunch of Story implicit in the image, and I'd love to hear it...

6 October 2007 at 20:00:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Everybody said the pink rubber kitchen gloves were the piece de resistance."

Except, of course, for those of us who didn't. Mick.

7 October 2007 at 00:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

not even your fictional self

7 October 2007 at 01:06:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Hey Eddie,
Is the new picture you bringing flowers to make up with Anne for the whole graphic novel thing?
I tried to respond to an earlier post you had-what Campbell said. I think you should make that the name of your blog ;)

7 October 2007 at 11:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Superheros are no different then say, Greek gods. I'll never understand your distaste for them. As for the Snooter, well he's looking great. I feel inspired by these new drawings. The one on the bottom kind of looks like one of the cursed mermaids from The Little Mermaid cartoon.

7 October 2007 at 15:23:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

"Superheros are no different then say, Greek gods"

only if you remove the meaning and religiosity from the latter, which is, when you think about it, what makes them 'gods'.

8 October 2007 at 19:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Religiosity, yes there is that, but it doesn't apply in todays world. No one believes in them anymore. As for meaning, well, you can instill that in anything, as your pal Alan Moore, and others like Alex Ross have shown us. Superman himself is kind of like Christ, inne? I'm not going down that easy on this one, but that doesn't mean I don't love you. LOL.

8 October 2007 at 21:25:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home