Saturday 16 February 2008

1 9 8 6

Richard Bruton has posted a piece about London Underground Comics. "It's the brainchild of Oli Smith, and is really the rebranding of the Camden Comics Stall." Richard compares it to the old Fast Fiction stall of the early eighties and shows a photo, see left, of me and Ed Pinsent and Peter Stanbury at the (FF) stall. Internal evidence suggests that the location is UKCAC (United Kingdom Comic Art Convention) in 1986, shortly after the last day in which I held down a regular nine-to-five. I don't remember that particular pic, but the style was immediately familiar to me, making it one of Phil Elliott's. He always had a roll of black and white in his camera. Here's another from perhaps April/May that year, judging from the internal evidence of wee hayley campbell's skinny legs. That's Phil and Fiona Elliott on a visit with us in Brighton and the wife of my bosom would be the one on this side of the camera.


Phil and I used to work together a lot back then, though we'd just lost our regular gig in the weekly Sounds. He drew us into his comic strips more than once, such as this little record of our visit with them in Kent.


Funny to think that back then we had no money but we don't seem to be half as concerned about the subject as we are now. Even Anne thought it was hilarious:



Phil has a great website. Go and have a look.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Hi Eddie, thanks for the clarification.

Hope to see you in Nottingham in August.

16 February 2008 at 11:32:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

I've never seen that picture before! The one in Brighton with my skinny legs, I mean. It's lovely.

16 February 2008 at 11:46:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie, it's Oli Smith who runs the London Underground Comics stall you just mentioned (of which I am very honoured!). I was wondering if you might get in touch with me (chocolatewednesdaycake@yahoo.com) with maybe a quick chat about your experiences working with fast fiction and how it worked, so I could maybe pick up a couple of tips.

I was speaking to a certain Alan Moore a couple of weeks ago and he said we might have a bit to talk about, not just about the stall but the kind of comics we produce (a huge compliment for me I think)

Thanks again for the mention

Oli
www.idlechild.co.uk

16 February 2008 at 20:02:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Nice pictures and sweet nostalgia.

17 February 2008 at 09:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Andy Luke said...

Thanks for the plug Eddie ! Glory Days, ay.
- Andy Luke,
London Underground Comics

17 February 2008 at 14:24:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home