Friday 7 March 2008

the stygian leech

He just turned up on Youtube.
Here's a screengrab for a teaser:


He told his story in the second volume of Bacchus:

"If I could talk," he said, "my story would probably go something like this...," and we proceed to imagine that he is telling us how he found his way out of the river Styx attached to the leg of an oarsman...


In short measure, he turns up in the restaurant that has been commandeered by the evil Telchines for the purpose of ambushing the Eyeball kid.


Here is Chryson disguised as a waiter, about to perform the wicked deed:


Success! They have leeched the power of the thunderbolt from the Eyeball Kid, who had previously nicked it from Zeus the king of the Gods.


Except that the Leech having it doesn't mean they have it themselves, and the Leech being a leech is never going to do anything with it, just wait around for the next bit of leeching that comes his way.


I'm sure I figured my way out of this impasse in a future volume, but right now I can't recall the details. It was twenty years ago and the only version to hand is the Italian translation, and I can't understand a word of it.

(finished art by Ed Hillyer)

********
While looking for jpeg of the old Harrier issue at left, in which the Leech got cover space, I also came across Bill Cucinotta's site. I had completely forgotten 'twas he who redesigned the logo when I went with Dark Horse.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I figured my way out of this impasse in a future volume, but right now I can't recall the details.

Did it involve salt? Maybe it would release its contents while melting to death..

p.s. funny headshot :)

7 March 2008 at 22:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

You want a translation?

8 March 2008 at 00:04:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

no, I was only kidding. I thought it would be funny if my account and the words in the pictures don't quite match, though i have a feeling they probably do.

8 March 2008 at 00:08:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was genuinely disgusting. But then I've always had an irrational fear of planarian.

Yuck.

8 March 2008 at 02:30:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention and the link.
I've been out of the Comics game for a while, but have admired and appreciated your work.
If you ever need a printable version of the Deadface logo just let me know and consider it done.
Bill

8 March 2008 at 14:28:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

I just went mudlarking in Wapping with Mr Hillyer. He's a good egg.

8 March 2008 at 17:30:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Great Jove. I didn't know that leeches got that big!

I know I read that Bacchus story, but I've forgotten how it went, except that the bad guys got killt.

8 March 2008 at 18:27:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Bill Cucinotta said...

The url to view the DEADFACE Logo has changed to http://www.billcucinotta.com/pages/billlogos.html

10 January 2010 at 20:09:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home