Tuesday 19 August 2008

for the final volume of the Italian run of Bacchus I felt that the cover I used on my own edition lacked presence. We looked for a variant among the assorted covers that I used on my monthly comic book and thought this one from issue #36 might do the job. However, at that time, ten years ago, I wasn't keeping a good digital archive, and I'm missing a reusable file for it. So I took the photocpoy of the version of the image that was used for soliciting the issue in the distributors' catalogues and painted over it.




*************
The best thing I saw at San Diego ths year was Dean Mullaney's advance copy of his huge book on Noel Sickles.
Lief Peng takes a look at it this week here and gives us more info on the great American illustrator here and I'm off to see if I can get a copy on Amazon.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Yoga Gal said...

God bless amazon.com! After you are quoted as telling the Los Angeles Times that you feel that the San Diego Comic Con is a "huge extravaganza of baloney" do you ever plan on returning to the San Diego Comic again? Just wondering. Namaste - geri

19 August 2008 at 18:31:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He can always claim later that he mistook it for a sausage sellers' convention.

20 August 2008 at 07:33:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

The new painted version looks fantastic. It just goes to show that a good artist never stops improving.

21 August 2008 at 00:26:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Mahendra Singh said...

The pen/brush & ink is perfect … delicious, a distant memory of Hugo Pratt and even further back, Noel Sickles.

a tug o' the ink-stained forelock

21 August 2008 at 09:09:00 GMT-5  
Blogger robsalk said...

I've been waiting for that Sickles book for a while. Pleased to see they seem to have done it right. What a golden age we're in for strip reprints, with the great Terry & The Pirates books, Popeye, and now this.

21 August 2008 at 18:37:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

I would tend to prefer the black and white and second coloured Bacchus drawings to the published cover.

24 August 2008 at 10:56:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home