Saturday 16 August 2008

this book tour was a complete round-the-world job, being the third time I've done that. The first I recorded in a ten page story, eighteen years ago, titled Around the World in Eighty Frames. That was the time the wife of my bosom took the liberty of moving us to another house in my absence. ('Well, at least she gave you the new address,' said my pal Frank Plowright with hilarity when I bewailed my circumstances.)


(these are both good examples of my early zip-a-tone impressionist style if you want to click for a closer look)

However, this time I didn't want to give Anne time to have ideas, so I crammed the tour into a short space of time. Eleven flights in two and a half weeks. The problem is that the flights came around so quickly I didn't sleep much in between for keeping one eye on the clock, and trying to remember to eat occasionally. So, after two days in Chicago it was two in New York and I did my piece again in McNally Robinson bookstore and then The Pourhouse, which was a difficult one, with the crowd standing at an open bar. I can compete with anything except alchohol.


Comic Book Legal Defence head honcho Charles Brownstein, a drinking conspirator from way back, introduces Campbell at the Village Pourhouse (source)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Adams said...

I really like the zip-a-tone impressionist style. You make it look easy which it isn't. With the zip-a-tone not so easy to come by anymore do you find yourself searching desperately for the stuff, or does the fact that you do most of your work in colour make up for it?

16 August 2008 at 06:14:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earth, Air, Water & Fire part 3, pps. 1-3: one of my all-time favorite letratone frenzies.

As harbingers go, watching the Eyeball Kid piss a roaring storm can't be beaten...

16 August 2008 at 11:06:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Yoga Gal said...

WOW: what a WOMAN your wife must be to handle moving all by herself! Moving is such a pain in the provebial a--! I don't even like moving out of my office - but then I'm the proverbial pack rat. Are you certain your wife wanted you home? Just joking. Your blog is delightful always gives me a smile ! By the way your daughter is a beauty, I gather like her mom! Namaste - Yoga Gal

17 August 2008 at 12:24:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Matthew,
My pal Patrick Alexander sent me a handful of pages from Japan recently, so I decided to go large on the new set of pages for the big Alec Omnibus. Classic zipatone Campbell, watch for it next year.
n. ta for the words on the Kid sequence.
y- a beauty indeed.
Eddie

20 August 2008 at 16:10:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

That zip-a-tone job does look remarkably like what my dad used to do when he still used it (he's an architect, hence the familiar feel). It must be hard to find nowadays...

24 August 2008 at 11:03:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home