Friday 31 October 2008

there's a small tear-off calendar in front of me called 'Wild words from Wild women.' The wife of my bosom was given it last December but didn't feel wild enough to keep it on her desk at work, so it's been in front of my computer since then. You may have noticed that all my quotes of late have come from this. Today's quote however has been ripped untimely from its place and I cannot quite remember how it went. There are tiny origami birds and turtles lying all around my table. I open a few, they're from the calendar but they all date back to when I was traveling in July. I should clear it all up soon I suppose. Anyway, today's quote was something to the effect that Hallowe'en is the only day of the year that girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it. Who said it I cannot recall. An attempted search only got me this article from last year's Huffington Post:
Dispatch from the Heart of Slutty Halloween-- Kathleen Nye Flynn--

"The sight of so many young girls looking like sex toys disturbed me. There were gaggles of slutty pirates, slutty nurses, slutty milkmaids, slutty Snow Whites, slutty schoolgirls, slutty referees. A few girls skipped costumes altogether and went straight to lacy lingerie and sheer teddies. Some shorts rose so high that fleshy rear-ends peaked out below. Some skirts fell so low on the hips that they had stopped serving their purpose as clothing.
Weren't they aware that they were standing around cold and naked just for the sake of appealing to some particularly dull looking men? After all, these are ostensibly smart co-eds. Too smart, I thought, to trick-or-treat for compliments and catcalls.
I wanted to know what was going on in their heads. So I put on my jacket, scarf and hat (it was cold outside, after all)...
update: wee callum just came home and you'll be glad to know I thumped the bejesus out of him (of course I didn't... anyway he's bigger than me, and he works out.) The calendar slip is a very finely folded turtle on the living room coffee table. It was spake by Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls. It's evening here and now Cal is putting on his Joker make-up. Looks good. I'll see if we can get a photie.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Does this Halloween trend means to imply that sex toys are scary?
Now that's a thought that is bound to have me giggling helplessly for the rest of the day...

Heee.
Yes, please (that was about pictures).

31 October 2008 at 04:25:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Author of the line presumably Tina Fey, then, rather than La Lohan...

1 November 2008 at 07:33:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

or Rosalind Wiseman, the book author. or any one of a number of unnamed rewriters. It's one of those things that would probably be not worth the effort of ascertaining exactly. but I do take your point.

1 November 2008 at 15:52:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home