Sunday 6 September 2009

covers: Bacchus #54

While rummaging through my files I came across a lost Previews cover sketch (only a photocopy I add, anticipating a request to own it). I wasn't always particular about filing these. They were sketches made to be printed along with the solicitation in the distributors catalogues two months before the book was due to come out, and the solicitation and drawing would have to be done another month in advance of that, making it three months in advance altogether (or four?... it's been a while). At the beginning, when we (Campbell Industries) had ten distributors we'd photocopy a dozen of these and hand-color with felt-tips or coloured pencils the ones that were to be sent to colour catalogues. If there was a colour version of the one below i can't recall it. When we started we usually had a black ink version of the cover that would be used, but after a while we were always rushing and making do and I'd have to just guess what the cover was going to be about. On this one I had a good idea of where I was headed but it it still had to be worked out. It's one of those occasions when the sketch had its own particular quality that wasn't repeated in the finished work or anywhere else. (Bacchus #54, August 2000).

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

They are very different, with what would loosely seem to be a totally different character.

6 September 2009 at 11:49:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Johnny Walker said...

Eddie, I fear you may have to do something your RSS feed. Although I check it regularly, I assumed nothing was being updated and it had become corrupt...

It seems you've been busy blogging for quite some time and I've been missing it.

Very annoying :(

6 September 2009 at 12:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger retromancy said...

I really like the colour one, but the original sketch has it's own smoky charm.

Your RSS feed seems to be working for me.

Tonia

6 September 2009 at 23:09:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

I sent Callum down to the basement with a spanner.

but seriously, if the subject comes up again,. one of you is going to have to explain what an RSS feed is.

6 September 2009 at 23:15:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Well, it's not something one eats.

7 September 2009 at 14:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger coolhanddylan said...

I suppose I should submit my request to own such a marvelous thing.

21 September 2009 at 20:52:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home