Wednesday, 14 September 2011

I came across this on the 'net, a convention sketch I drew for somebody somewhere. These things are hit or miss, though naturally I try to have a basically acceptable image I can do in my sleep and that won't embarrass me if I chance upon it later. Every now and then my unconscious butts in and I accidentally do something that surprises me, like this one. I always use a ball point, on the principal that the ink comes out of it no slower or faster than the rate as my artistic brain works. Also, I have acquired a facility with it so that you can see some variety and spontaneity in the line.
(click to enlarge)



Blogger Fabio di Campli said...

OMB (Oh My Bacchus)!

14 September 2011 at 7:10:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Nate said...

You do a great job suggesting the drapery, and I like the way the line globs up at the points of contact (wrists & pockets, shoes and ground.

14 September 2011 at 10:27:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Isaac said...

Hey, I think that's the one you drew for me!

Looks like I posted it exactly a year ago, too.

It's a nice piece, and I'm very glad to have it in my sketchbook.

14 September 2011 at 7:18:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

yes, I can't remember how I came across it and it was just sitting in a file here. I tweaked the contrast somewhat. I'm pleased that I didn't find it on one of those art-for -sale sites.

I guess I must have tried a bit harder because it was in a sketchbook and I didn't want to look slack next to Jeffrey Brown :)

(see page linked above)

14 September 2011 at 7:29:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...


16 September 2011 at 11:10:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home