Thursday 15 September 2011

An excellent 3,000 word essay on the work of cartoonist Glenn Dakin, written by Rich Baez, posted Tuesday this week.
There are strips here, some lasting one, two, or three pages – each a simple flow of near-calligraphic images dredged up from somewhere, with not much in the way of motion or movement forward – which, in my mind, never seem to stop; I continually play them like pop songs, easy and abstract. The connections between them are vast, continually expanding, and the mysteries (or is it just one? I return to that word ridiculously often in this essay, but there’s no more perfect word) contained therein always beckoning. There aren’t many books like this, with so many landscapes at play, unknown vistas.

I'm pleased that Baez regards Dakin's work as highly as I do. Here's a Photo of myself and Dakin from a hundred years ago, which I came across on the 'net recently. I don't remember seeing it before, though I am familiar with the one taken just before or just after. By Phil Elliott I think, the only person I know who habitually used black and white film.

****************

Oscar Wilde grandson scorns 'new' play Guardian-14 Sept.
The grandson of Oscar Wilde is accusing an Olivier award-winning theatre company of "dishonesty" over its claims that it is staging "the world premiere of the only unproduced Oscar Wilde play".
Merlin Holland told the Guardian that his grandfather did no more than devise a "minimal" scenario – just a few paragraphs – for a drama called Constance, which Wilde jotted down in a letter of 1894. "He never wrote a word of the play."
He disputes the claim by The King's Head theatre in Islington, north London, that it is staging "a genuine, brand new, Oscar Wilde play", which opens on Friday.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Richard Baez said...

I'm tremendously glad you enjoyed the essay.

15 September 2011 at 11:00:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home