Wednesday 28 December 2011

As is my habit, I went to look at one of my favourite reading sites, ilovecomics.com only to find that it is down. This site archives all the great old newspaper comic strips from decades ago. They recently put up a bunch of 1961 color sundays of Apartment 3G that I've never seen before, and earlier, a whole load of old 1940s Mary Worth pages. Nobody cares enough about this old stuff for there ever likely to be book collections. But they've got everything. Right from the beginning. It all needs to be preserved and made available outside of museum storage for folks who are not accredited scholars. Its value is beyond measure. The site charges a minimum fee for downloads, just a small thing toward the cost of keeping the site going. That's not not for reading; you can read all day for free. The reason it's gone:
As many of you may have noticed this is not the former archive site. After a three week battle, with many emails to say the least, my 3 year host Smugmug pulled the plug on us. They stated and I quote "All the images I've seen on your site look to be owned by others and you've been selling them for a profit. We'll need you to send back the written releases that give you the authority to post and sell images that are owned by others"
The webhost is bending in fear of SOPA. Small vid, skip the ad like I always do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Pádraig Ó Méalóid said...

Hmmm. I have a site full of old comics work by Alan Moore that's no longer available. I must look into all this further.

5 January 2012 at 08:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Paola said...

From what I know, Smugmug is against SOPA.

5 January 2012 at 11:25:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home