Thursday 15 March 2007

"Bewerr from de Hides from Motch!"

Happy birthday to my fellow artist, John Coulthart, who mentioned that it falls upon this day, the ides of march, in comments when I quoted a passage from Milt Gross' version of Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar a few weeks back. Or to be more precise: "How It Got Bomped Huff Julius Sizzer. Pot Two"
***
Speaking of mangling the English language, Google translation should be a literary genre in its own right. Here is a blogger's review of the Spanish version of The Birth Caul, my collaboration with Alan Moore, which can be found in English in A Disease of Language.
"The fault, in any case, corresponds to Eddie Campbell to him, who is who carried out the adaptations, but even so I do not resist to the temptation to give a good pull him of ears perhaps (better I occur it in the beards) to the own Moore by its conception of the writing, that in my opinion derives with too much frequency in the solipsismo. It can that stops he have sense all and each one of the images that propose, but the certain thing are that of as much rhetoric the total understanding takes control very complicated of its speech.
Yet, I have left the sensation of which, in spite of its points in common with Serpents and stairs, as it can be that vision between scientist, poetic mystic and of the human life - in addition to the illustrations of the own Campbell-, The Birth Caul is quite inferior to that. And it is it, at least in me opinion, indeed and mainly by these same verbal excesses. As much that the work remains in a pile of dark vaguedades of which with great difficulty some sense can be intuited. And although outside that indeed what Moore tried to do, the certain thing possibly is that for me the Native Amnion continues being a sovereign stupidity that bores to the ewes."

For all I know, the translation of Alan Moore in the book itself was as good as this.
***
And while the translating nodule in your brain is stimulated, let us continue. I don't know whether there's any truth in the story that, during his several days of torture, they held Guy Fawkes against the bell of Big Ben wherewith the hammer for to hitte him, but it was good enough to steal. So in the Batman book by me and my pal White, Batman: the Order of Beasts, which takes place in London in 1939, we built up the business of Cockney rhyming slang through the story. eg. 'I delayed wrapping the body so you'd get a butcher's at the coins beside the head..." "butcher's?' "Butcher's hook=look.' (traditional london slang) 'ah, I think I'm getting th hang of this rhyming slang'. Thus at the climax when the poor bloke tied to the bell shouts 'Elp, Batman, it's goin' to hit me in the niagaras!!' (our own invention) the readers, including Americans, would immediately get the meaning. But we didn't count on the inhabitants of the DC universe not having testicles, so we had to change it to a loaf of bread.
*****
My pal bob Morales sent this link to an article in the Toronto Star: a professor of Hellenistic history gives his thoughts on 300. Well, no surprise to know it's all very inaccurate, but here is the blow by blow account.
"And had Leonidas undergone the agoge, he would have come of age not by slaying a wolf, but by murdering unarmed helots in a rite known as the Crypteia."
"This moral universe would have appeared as bizarre to ancient Greeks as it does to modern historians. Most Greeks would have traded their homes in Athens for hovels in Sparta about as willingly as I would trade my apartment in Toronto for a condo in Pyongyang."

I can feel one a them 'I-can't-stop-giggling' fits coming on. The mighty Spurge gives us another 300 link:
* Iranian movie critics are upset about lack of character development and liberal use of slow-motion in movie version of the comic. Okay, not exactly."
So you click on the link and find yourself at the New York Post.
IRAN BLASTS '300' DECLARES WAR ON HOLLYWOOD EPIC.
"The movie "300," which earned a huge $70 million in its opening U.S. weekend, is "cultural and psychological warfare," the Tehran government declared."
"Iranians, including thousands who signed an online petition denouncing the film, say it portrays their ancient forbears as crazed monsters led by an effeminate emperor, Xerxes, who is outfought by heroic Greeks in the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C."
"Hollywood declares war on Iranians," read a headline in the moderate newspaper Ayandeh-No.
A front-page article charged that the film spreads the lie that Iran "has long been the source of evil, and modern Iran's ancestors are the ugly murderous savages you see in '300.' "
Pirated copies of the film are the talk of Tehran. "

It'll be the Danish cartoons all over again!

Some geezer reported by the NY Times sees it as a critique of the Bush administration.
“Is George Bush Leonidas or Xerxes?” one of them asked.
The questioner, by Mr. Snyder’s recollection, insisted that Mr. Bush was Xerxes, the Persian emperor who led his force against Greek’s city states in 480 B.C., unleashing an army on a small country guarded by fanatical guerilla fighters so he could finish a job his father had left undone."

hoohah, lordy... bring on the next one... Frank Miller as cliche Bond villain. Upsets both sides, occasioning the outbreak of World War 3. When it's all done, steps in and takes over.

But what about the Gecko Emperor?
******

wee hayley campbell should post more often.
she makes me larf.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

JJ sez:

The Google translation reminds me very much of the "Is you troubled with you English?" fake ad on the back of Alan's first 1963 book.

15 March 2007 at 00:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Ditto on Hayley posting more often!
Sheesh, she must have the same bank that I do ;)

The gecko emperor is out there and waiting...I still think we should give him what he originally wanted (But Cheney FIRST!)

15 March 2007 at 00:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

She makes me laugh too, but don't tell her I said anything...

15 March 2007 at 00:49:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

it'll just go to her head.

15 March 2007 at 02:08:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

My God! I didn't see that I was stepping into a ring when I wrote my latest post, about Frank Miller and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. I'll be killed in my sleep.

15 March 2007 at 02:16:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

I'm so glad my poverty amuses you!

15 March 2007 at 05:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

AS A HUMORIST OF NOTE, I WAS BORN WITH THE GIFT OF BEING ABLE TO LAUGH AT OTHER PEOPLE'S MISFORTUNE.

(oops, you can see I've been lining up another From hell page)

15 March 2007 at 06:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Yes I can see that. I suppose geniuses such as yourself should not be forced to comply with caps etiquette and go through the arduous motion of pushing a superfluous key, right?

15 March 2007 at 06:35:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

You know, if you and Hayley weren't half a world away from each other. If you were in the same house even... I still see this exact conversation happening, word for word.

Tho I guess she'd be sat on her laptop in her room, or in front of the tv watching Peepshow or something whilst typing.

15 March 2007 at 07:02:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Whereas I don't think I'd be 'sat on [my] laptop' because I happen to think my laptop rather wonderful, and I wouldn't want to destroy it with my rapidly expanding Euro-arse. (strip 8)

I think it would be far more fun (and more likely) that we'd be battling each other for the one computer. He would have forgotten to log out of Blogger and thus I'd be surreptitiously editing his posts so that whenever the term 'graphic novel' appeared it's be replaced with the word 'socks', or summat.

15 March 2007 at 07:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, thank you, Eddie.

"Butcher's" receives some comic explanation in Steven Soderbergh's The Limey. Aged Terrence Stamp is an ex-con cockney in modern LA looking for the person who killed his daughter. At a party he tells his Latino pal to wait while he has a butcher's around the place. Latino pal looks alarmed:

"You're going to butcher who?!"

Hilarious scene later on where Stamp explains in florid rhyming slang his actions to a nonplussed Federal official.

15 March 2007 at 07:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

From all that I've read on the subject, the "official" version of the war covered in 300 is...well...total bullshit. Gore Vidal has written about it, as I recall.

I've never read The Birth Caul. A pal had a copy and I began to read it...and it went over my head. One of these days I'll sit down with it and give it a real go. But from what I could see...I'm probably just not sharp enough to figure it all out.

But of course that's probably all Eddie Campbell's fault.

15 March 2007 at 16:23:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what's wrong with that Google translation? I'm fron Spain and I undestand it perfectly ;)

But anyway, I bought the The Birth Caul English version, so can't tell about the Spanish translation. That reminded me the Watchmen translation made by Norma, where by a mistake made in a single word translation, nobody in Spain could infer that Laurie was Comedian's daughter.

17 March 2007 at 16:43:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

it dawned on me, before it was explained clearly in the story, from the color of their hair being the same. I think he comments on her hair and at that point you think, that's inetresting, they have exactly the same color.

don't tell me they printed it in black anfd white?

only joking, norma always put out good looking books. (I was in a couple... the spirit, hellblazer...)

17 March 2007 at 22:23:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Posted a biliography of books John has helped produce for a birthday present on my livejournal

http://eroomnala.livejournal.com/
but I was a few hours early so it's got 14th instead of 15th

Still got one more to add to it

Eroom Nala

He's just a little bit over two weeks older than me

18 March 2007 at 19:55:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home