Saturday 28 July 2007

saturday morning

L ast night had dinner and many laughs with Bill Horberg, film producer and Charlie Mitchell, writer of The Black Diamond Detective Agency screenplay. At left is a rare item you may never see. Bill gave me a copy, of which there are five hundred I think, last year. Without any pretense of being a graphic artist he fondly constructed, using collage and comic strip, an honest and engaging account of his meeting with Mickey Spillane and his attempt to develop a project with him. Artist Elsa Mora painted the cover for it in an approximation of the 1950s paperback style.
Charlie told me he's started writing another Black Diamond story.
Wee Cal is buying heaps of stuff. I'm curious to see how the lad thinks we're getting it all in the suitcases. I'm reminded of the time at con clean-up I scored a life-size cardboard stand up figure of Poison Ivy for my daughter Erin. For free. But then I had to pay a hundred bucks to get it on the plane. Having pictured her delight at having Uma Thurman standing around in her bedroom I wasn't about to back out.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I remember that Poison Ivy stand-up! That's actually one of my most vivid memories of the last time I visited the Campbell household. That and Monty in his 'puppy' phase ricocheting off the walls.

28 July 2007 at 23:59:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

And if it all fits in the suitcase you might still end up having to pay for excess weight, in particular if he is buying books.

30 July 2007 at 12:28:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home