Wednesday 5 September 2007

3: The zipatones always made for subtler possibilities in drawing. I was already trying to use the finest possible ink lines, but with tones you can cut for example, a line that is no more than the edge of a juxtaposition of white and 10% grey. There's nothing so white as a white shape without an outline.


I'd also draw with white on top of grey tones. Scraping the dots off the surface of the screen was an option too, though going all the way through to the paper underneath wasn't something I did often:


**************

London underground's on strike again. here's a song for the occasion. link via hayley campbell, so it's obscene. keep the sound low if you're in the office.
**************
Tom Spurgeon's obit. for the late Arnold Wagner led me to Arnold's blog, where I found a link to this spoof of Thomas Kinkaide
JONAS KASKADE, Painter of trite.
“Built in 1947, Loon Point Light was constructed to warn off incoming migratory birds. Prior to its installation, hundreds of geese, swans and loons smacked into the rocks as they approached the high mountain lake every year. After the light was activated, the deaths declined dramatically.
Standard Fine Art Print: $600
Deluxe Fine Art Print with little actual paint daubs added: $1500

************

(pictures above from Alec: The King Canute Crowd again though i confess to moving a couple of small unconfident marks off the white dress)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie,

The Missus was trying to buy a page of Black Diamond yesterday (we've missed out on those early-blog days-free sketches, so we're not missing out on this) but the website kind of crashed/rejected after the card details went in. I've searched their site for an email address but can can't get into their 'contact us' page. Have you got an email address for them?

(I'm sure this kind of annoying question is the very reason you gave the pages to someone else to sell in the first place. Ho-hum.)

Ben Smith

5 September 2007 at 03:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Ben
mail@beguiling.com

Eddie

5 September 2007 at 03:39:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers Eddie.

Ben Smith

5 September 2007 at 05:24:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Funny enough, I had the same problem but the order went in fine.

5 September 2007 at 05:52:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, almost a decade ago I was one of the 100 or so employees who put the little actual paint daubs on the canvas. I worked there for over a year and painted on thousands of them.
I fell into the gig after sign painting. Everyone else I worked with was a frustrated artist. The pay sucked and the hours were crappy too. (I took much inspiration from Alec's philosophy of punching metal.)
Here's the good part. Every Kincaid painting has a number underneath the signature. It stands for the number of times the Painter of Light hid the letter "N" in the painting. These "N"s were part of the mystique, so you would get reprimanded if you painted over any of them. Able to ape his style almost immediately, I added an extra "N" to every canvas I touched.

There, glad I got that off my chest.

5 September 2007 at 12:56:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

What a great story, given the title and theme of my blog.
thanks for sharing.

5 September 2007 at 15:53:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home