Friday 1 February 2008

No matter how famous we think a book or film has become, there will always be a brick wall of human brains that will remain impervious to any knowledge of it:

LONDON (Reuters) - Woolworths has withdrawn the sale of the Lolita Midsleeper Combi, a whitewashed wooden bed with pull-out desk and cupboard intended for girls aged about six after a concerned mother raised the alarm on a parenting Web site.
"What seems to have happened is the staff who run the Web site had never heard of Lolita, and to be honest no one else here had either," a spokesman told newspapers. "We had to look it up on Wikipedia."
(link via wee hayley campbell)
***********

This made me laff. One of my comic books from twenty years ago ended up in a museum.

The Museum of Riverina, city of Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia:
This new acquisition has a link to the Wagga region, simply by virtue of its title: by the time i get to WAGGA WAGGA. The cover illustration depicts a rough map of the Wagga region, with a 'Where's Wally' type character falling towards it from a plane.
This comic is a good example of the work done by graphic novelist and illustrator Eddie Campbell. It is one of a number of quirky items which use the name Wagga Wagga in their title, but seem to have little to do with the place itself.
Campbell's quirky comic exemplifies the number of books or plays which use the town of Wagga Wagga as a setting - for example the books Mud Crab Boogie and Men are From Wagga and Women Wish They Weren't.


(a link to this has been in my 'gallery of amusements' sidebar for some time, but you may have overlooked it there. anybody curious as to what was in the comic book see here.)
************

Coincidentally, somebody has just posted a cartoon page I drew twenty years ago on how to collect comic books. I'd steal it back and show it here except I think my mum is still sore about me using my school lunch money for such nefarious purposes.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't help but smile whilst reading the Campbell Method of how to collect comic books. I'd say I felt a sort of camaraderie but that would be blowing my cover.

1 February 2008 at 19:12:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. My late 70's complete runs of 2000AD and Planet of the Apes were placed in involuntary liquidation by my mum, for similar crimes against visibility.

1 February 2008 at 20:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2 February 2008 at 00:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Goddamn.

And we here in the States tend to think of Brits as far more bright than we. Seems they're as much a victim of TV Nation as the USA.

The average reader misses the point of LOLITA at any rate. I've always thought it was the blackest of comedies.

I didn't know there was such a place as WAGGAWAGGA. I thought it was just part of a Monty Python skit.

2 February 2008 at 00:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger genevieve said...

Hemlock Man surely means Wollongong. Ahem.
Gee, mothers have long memories, don't they, Eddie.

2 February 2008 at 02:02:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your old cartoon page!

2 February 2008 at 11:17:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home