Friday 21 November 2008

it's 2004; the two comic book artists are fighting in the street.

It's two weeks ago; I'm writing this blog entry and forgetting to post it.

It's 1974; I'm being introduced to Dave Gibbons.

It's 2008; Dave Gibbons is publicizing his book, Watching the Watchmen.

There are all the thumbnail sketches, abandoned alternative character designs, colour guides for the characters and other paraphernalia, script addenda and memos, three dimensional scale location constructions and all the other stuff by which perfectionists such as Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore intricately work out their ideas and communicate their vision to each other and the people who work with them.
The Guardian is showing a bunch of sample pages.

It's two days ago. Mick Evans is telling me to check it out.

The torn photograph is on my desktop.

(I pinched it from here, but don't tell.) That's me , Dave and Bob Chapman from Bob's Dead Dog party, always the last Sunday of the San Diego con, invite only. Bob, Dennis Kitchen and I usually close it and walk through the empty San Diego streets in the wee hours. This year I had to leave early as our publicist had me on a six a.m. flight to Chicago. This meant that at least I didn't wake up on the Black Freighter again.

It's today. Dave's on Foxnews video

It's 2004; the Dead Dog party. The two comic book artists are fighting in the street. They're really trying to hurt each other. At the bar I ask Dave what could two cartoonists possibly be fighting over?
Dave says in an American accent, "But you never GAVE ME (BIFF!!) any colour guides! (WALLOP!)"

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

It had to be something serious

22 November 2008 at 00:56:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Peeboo said...

I’ve gone through my copy of ‘Watching The Watchmen’ a few times now, although that blue on black type makes it hard to read in bed. The book itself is a beautiful object, I have ‘Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz’ which Chip designed, again a lovely looking book. I must say I need to go back and look at the whole series again, there seems to be quite a bit in the design that I missed, the skull outline in the radioactive smoke, the outline of the newspaper seller mirrored in the snow. There is an ‘Annotated Watchmen’ on the web somewhere, so I guess I need to put a day aide sometime.

As mentioned in a previous comment, I have lost all my copies of the Watchmen trade paperback, and be buggered if I’m going to sift through the boxes under the stairs to find the original monthly issues. I’ll wait till the movie opens and try and pick up copy then.

You need to compile al the ‘From Hell’ strips you did in Bacchus, a sort of ‘Watching the Gull Catchers’ if you will.

PS. The package from Amazon contained the Watchmen book, the latest Acme Novelty Library and ‘What It Is’ by Lynda Barry…comic book heaven.

22 November 2008 at 05:05:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Nate said...

I like to think that when comics-pros fight they actually make the "biff-pow" noises as they go.

22 November 2008 at 10:23:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Hawthorn said...

Obviously, this indicates that you yourself should write that long threatened Watchmen sequel, as a metafiction about the trials of the original creators.

Ending, of course, with all everyone at DC agreeing that it should be made into a movie, to which Alan Moore says "Hurm. Joking of course." And gets blown up.

22 November 2008 at 16:11:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home