Friday 5 January 2007

" 'Ja think I'm a cowboy?"

The time has come to reveal the cover of my new book, due on sale in June 2007, or five months from now, from First Second Books in New York. Design work is by Charlie Orr , who also did the designs on my Fate of the Artist. Charlie's idea of a theatrical, or showground, facade on the front/back of that cover has been called, by at least one reviewer, the funniest gag in the whole book.


(click to enlarge)

On the back cover I am pretending to be the protagonist of the book, in a photo taken under our house by wee Callum under my direction:



It's the first time I have been photgraphed as a cowboy since, well since this one I suppose:



The title of today's post is of course the very first line uttered by Popeye, on Jan 17 1929. Castor Oyl is walking along the harbour trying to buy a boat to get to Dice Island. He says to Ham Gravy, "You'll find the scum of the earth right here in this port. So we've got to be careful in picking our crew". In panel 2 he calls to someone off-panel, "Hey there, are you a sailor?" and then in panel 3 we see him, the character who will become one of the greatest ever: Popeye.
"''ja think I'm a cowboy?"
"O.K. You're hired."

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

How weird! I was wondering when you'd start talking about the new book. The husband told me about it after reading about it in the latest Comics Journal just a few hours ago.
So will you be at Comic Con again this year signing at First Second and Top Shelf? They are two of my favorite publishers (well, First Second is still new but the titles that they are releasing are awesome...and Top Shelf, well, the family ALWAYS stops there as that goes without saying.)
Thanks Eddie!

5 January 2007 at 02:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I could hear Popeye saying those words now.
Great news about your new book! Thanks! Now if I can only find a decent bookshop in the area where I'll live five months from now..

5 January 2007 at 03:28:00 GMT-5  
Blogger D W said...

The "theatrical, or showground, facade on the front/back of that cover" brings to mind the work of David Malki on Wondermark

Fascinating. Can't wait.

5 January 2007 at 06:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Kelly, what's in the Journal...i didn't know about that...?

Dimetri.. I hadn't seen Wondermark before. That is some great stuff there.

Tita... best of luck finding a bookstore. I know I've lived in a few places where I was beyond the reach of the things I enjoy most, and depended on friends mailing me stuff... seems like a long time ago when i used to sit and wait for the mailman everyday... hardly use the mail at all now...

5 January 2007 at 07:46:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

The Comics Journal just mentioned that it was due to be released...

5 January 2007 at 14:28:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like somebody got the new Popeye book for Xmas . . . .

5 January 2007 at 14:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger maggie said...

OK, that's weird. I read your blog via the livejournal feed. And the post directly above yours was Grug extolling the wonderfulness of First Second Books. Literally two references to a publisher I don't, but apparently should, know within 6 sentences of each other. Ker-azy!

Can't wait to see the book!
Maggie (from Pulp Faction)

5 January 2007 at 18:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Leigh Walton said...

Why Mr. Campbell, you're the spitting image of Billy Bob Thornton.

7 January 2007 at 13:15:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha!
wasn't he brilliant in Bad santa.

Eddie

8 January 2007 at 05:42:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry
couldn't be bothered signing in


djjorb?

eddie

8 January 2007 at 05:43:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home