Wednesday 30 May 2007

covers- BACCHUS no.29

T his issue had the story that was bumped along from #28, whose cover I showed yesterday. I must have realized it was getting too difficult to predict where I'd be when the time came three months later to draw the promised story, for I've drawn a standard sort of pin-up cover in the solicitation image (1), showing a grouping of the characters as they were appearing in the supporting (reprint) story. The coloring on the printed solicitation (2) looks like Pete's work. Very nice too. I can imagine I bought the catalogue just to cut that out for my files. The printed size of these could vary; this one is two and a half inches high, yesterday's was two inches. With the finished painting (3), which Pete has painted so thoroughly I can't recall how much I was involved, a boot is tromping on the flag of civilisation. In retrospect, the idea is too complicated since it's not an object that anybody could possibly recognize. What I really wanted to do was have Bacchus wiping his bottom with it (4), as he does in the story, and was promised in the solicitation for the previous issue, and I've mocked up here just for a laugh, but I didn't think the distributors and the shops would stand for it.
********

Book without words wins literary prize The Australian, may 29.
The graphic novel, The Arrival, by Shaun Tan, won the Community Relations Commission (CRC) Literary Award for 2007.
The $15,000 award was one of 11 announced tonight at the annual New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards dinner in Sydney.
(thanks to Michael Evans)
I wrote about the book on dec 11
*********
Alan & Mel's Wedding Reception Flickr set. (thanks, drjon)
*********
Marjane Satrapi shares the Jury Prize at Cannes. I missed this profile in the Herald Tribune from last week.-may 22
Marjane Satrapi at Cannes: An Iranian graphic novelist's coming of age

(via First Second blog)
*********
here's another great sound. French band Dionysos, and my First Second stablemate Johan Sfar appears to have designed the cartoon video. (link via mr j.)
*****************
If you liked that Nick Cave cover I drew for Punk Planet, David Carroll has posted a big full size version. My monitor is showing a lot of yellow on the face that shouldn't be there, it should be a flat flesh tone all over, but there's some nervous pencil detail that's picked up nicely. Mick Evans cobbled all my bits and pieces together in photoshop for this job by the way. the main portrait sketch is on a piece of tracing paper (used to trace the best parts of an earlier sketch) which when last seen hayley campbell was using as a bookmark in her copy of From Hell. In an artist's house, such things are taken for granted.

update: she says "'it's no there noo, it's shifted.' Now it's a bookmark in How to Beat an Artist."
**************
in other news:
Man wrestles leopard in his bedroom--Tue May 29,
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli man wrestled a leopard to the ground after it entered his bedroom in a desert college and tried to make a meal of his pet cat.
"He jumped on the leopard and pinned him to the floor, then his wife called us so we could take it away," Amram Zabari, a local park ranger who rushed to the scene, said on Tuesday.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger James Robert Smith said...

You're right. The distributor(s) wouldn't have gone for it.

Until two years ago, when I was corresponding with a wildlife official who works for the Israeli government, I didn't even know that leopards lived there.

30 May 2007 at 01:03:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

I only just put that upo a minute ago. In fact I'm still fixing the typos. Good to hear from ya, James.
Eddie

30 May 2007 at 01:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for chatting with me and colin today. I will be airing the interview on June 21st. 2007. www.inkstuds.com

30 May 2007 at 01:23:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

I'm not going to whine that Tan's latest book is still not available in the U.S. til October. Grr.

Looking forward to seeing Satrapi's Persepolis on film as well...

LOVE the photos of Alan & Mel's wedding...

30 May 2007 at 01:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

That Tan's book is incredible.
I found it at the Salon du Livre and it is truly beautiful, poetic and moving. It well deserves all the awards it's bound to get.

I would have favoured (4) but I can imagine a publisher being squeamish about it...
N.

30 May 2007 at 02:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger David C said...

I'm not sure where the yellow is coming from. I've played with the settings and have another scan, which is less yellow but more streaky.

The cover itself is fine.

30 May 2007 at 03:08:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

If you've not heard about it yet, you should swing by here:

Flickr challenge -- ink a Kirby Thor page
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/29/flickr_challenge_ink.html

"If you're a fan of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's epic run on the Mighty Thor, you've heard (and maybe even share) the complaints about the inking style of Vince Colletta. Well, now is your chance to put your ink where your mouth is and have some fun re-embellishing a select page of Kirby's dynamic artistry!"

30 May 2007 at 03:40:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Jaime said...

amazing work, mr campbell, great blog, saludos desde espaƱa.

30 May 2007 at 11:32:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Nobel laureate's next project will marry words and pictures'

Orhan Pamuk is to write a 'novel with pictures' and teach a course on 'pictures and texts', makes no mention of comics or 'graphic novels' mind.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2091218,00.html

Ben Smith

30 May 2007 at 13:13:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You recommended Shaun Tan on 12/11, and on the strength of that I got a copy (via Amazon.uk) for the Spouse for Christmas. It didn't arrive until the end of January, but oh my was it worth it. Great damn book.

31 May 2007 at 19:18:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Thanks to all.
Kip-
yes, Shaun's book should be much better known. maybe it will be.

Eddie

31 May 2007 at 19:25:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home