Saturday 8 September 2007

5 : Another class of tone worth mentioning is what we might call pseudo-tone, such as when you get one of those blank adhesive-backed transparent sheets and photocopy your own one-off pattern onto it. I can't remember exactly but this one looks like I superimposed two square areas of wavy line tone, then enlarged them enormously and photocopied onto an adhesive transparency, laid it over the figures , carefully cut around their outlines and discarded the bits from within the figures (Though knowing me I probably saved those bits for use elsewhere) (Bacchus Vol 8):


That was Joe Theseus and Big Ginny, Queen of the Amazons, cast adrift in The patterns of Fate, drawn in 1994. On another occasion I saw this sheet of printed cellophane that came into the house wrapped around a bunch of flowers. I knew it was something I could find a use for and filed it away with my zipatones.


Sure enough, a page of From Hell script arrived that called for a zoom towards and into a bedroom window (chapter 5 page 1). The flower pattern was just right for representing a lace curtain, with the addition of a few verticals of white tone to suggest the undulations.


I discussed that page of art and script in an earlier post, though interestingly the effect hasn't come out well in the xerox I scanned for that. A quick check with the current Top Shelf edition of From Hell shows that it looks okay there.
********
there are two posts today; scroll down.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger James Robert Smith said...

The sex scenes in FROM HELL all seemed so horrific.

8 September 2007 at 15:54:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all this info on zipatone!
The idea of 'pseudo-tone' in a word...brilliant! Used to good effect in your example above.
Sorry to get geeky but do love the the stuff and the way you've used it in some of your art.
(I know- need to get a life!...but richly toned comic art makes me happy!)
cheers
lee paul

9 September 2007 at 10:13:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home